Monday, December 27, 2010

An Amazing Holiday...


I am so blessed to say that we really had a wonderful and special 1st Christmas with Eva. I can't believe the holiday has come and gone so quickly! I love Christmas and I am very tempted to keep the holiday alive for several weeks to come. But it might be odd to decorate our Christmas tree with Valentine's Hearts!

Our Christmas started on Christmas Eve (which Drew has decided to rename "Christmas Eva"). Our little family spent the day together preparing for our yummy Christmas Eve dinner. One of the traditions that Drew had growing up was having a fondue dinner the night before Christmas. So we decided to do the same.

First though, we went to Christmas Eve mass with my parents and brother. My mom surprised us with a beautiful red and sparkly dress for Eva that she hand made. It was so pretty that Eva didn't even need a big red bow on her head to go with it! I just had to take her out in public with it on! And church seemed like a pretty good place to do it. Granted, by the time we got to the church, it was too full for us...we ended up in the church basement with all of the other late-comers, watching mass on a big screen--kind of weird if I do say so myself.

My pretty girl, in her pretty dress. She was done with the shoes!


Eva was getting tired here! Christmas is a lot of work!

After mass, my parents and brother came over. We enjoyed a huge meal-cheese and bread and veggies and fruit and ham and wine--all sorts of goodies. I was soooo full. We started a new tradition of reading a letter to Santa and then hanging a key on the tree so Santa can use the door instead of the chimney--apparently it is cleaner and there is a greater chance of getting more gifts!


Then, Eva was all tuckered out...we opened her 1st Christmas present, new Christmas pjs and put her to bed. Down she went without a problem!


The rest of us stayed up with some hot coffee and watched Elf..."I love syrup!!!" Then we opened our 1st gifts...Christmas pjs...and everyone went home, I went to bed and Drew stayed up, preparing my surprise!

Christmas morning was spent opening gifts...we gave Eva a couple, but she was really more excited about the wrapping paper. Then I opened my jewelry box. One that I have been wanting for awhile! It is a cabinet kind that you hang up, with places for pictures on the front. Drew had written me a letter on the front in all of the different openings. And at the bottom, it told me to open the door...

...I was thinking, "oh my God, this is it..." but when I opened the door, there wasn't a ring, there was a card. I was already crying because Drew has a way with words, I opened the card and read his letter...more tears. At the bottom of the letter it said "I've heard somewhere that for good luck you should try kissing the bare baby Buddha belly," which is what we call Eva's belly. I knew right then what was happening...more tears! Drew was holding Eva, I unsnapped her Christmas pjs and tied around her neck on a red ribbon, was a diamond ring and a little white note that simply said "Will you marry my Daddy?"...yes, more tears! It was so awesome.


So with all of the teasing that Drew has endured, he held up his end of the bargain that he had with Michelle...one of my oldest and closet friends. They said, if she got pregnant, he would ask me to marry him. Well she got pregnant (I am sooooo excited) and he asked me to marry him.

We didn't tell anyone until we headed up to my parents for the rest of the day. Mom cried, Dad hugged...it was an around special moment. Then we made all of the calls to the rest of our friends and family!

We spent the rest of the day opening presents, enjoying the Christmas tree and big feast that Dad prepared for dinner. We were all spoiled rotten! Eva was a trooper...was cheerful, smiley and happy...in between her long naps! The only thing we were missing was the rest of the family...Drew's dad and sisters, and Jen, Brian and Sam, but they were with us in spirit!

All 3 boys in their new shirts!


Peanut is investigating the presents.


Eva's 1st candy cane.


This is the really, really great blanket that Auntie Jen knitted for Eva, (she was napping when we opened it.)


Gramma opening her picture of Eva.


Eva and Daddy in their matching Sock Monkey hats.


Motley is helping Grampa make dinner.

What a wonderful and memorable holiday. We have so much to be thankful for! Thank you to everyone for making this holiday so SPECIAL. I hope everyone enjoyed their day as much as we did!!!

3 comments:

  1. Perfect!! Thanks for sharing your Christmas Story and The Proposal. I'm so excited for you guys!! Eva certainly looks like a princess in her beautiful Red Christmas Dress and is lucky to have you two for her parents. Happy New Year to you all!! Hopefully we get to see you in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what an awesome proposal. Good things come to those who wait! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me = crying! Way to go Drew! So perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete