Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day


Is it odd that we all say "Happy" Veterans Day? I don't feel "happy" per se about this holiday, but rather it stirs up feelings of pride, devotion, fear, sadness and sacrifice.

I am proud of all of those that I know who have or are currently serving our country, keeping our freedom safe and our families secure. Including, but certainly not limited to my father, Carl Hargroves Jr, my grandfather Carl Edward Hargroves Sr, my sister Jeniffer Cox, my brother-in-law Brian Cox, one of our closest friends Jason Robinson, my uncle Jerry Roberts, Drew's uncle Jeff Wimer and many, many others.

You don't realize how much these people are sacrificing until, after they have a baby, they have to go to post and sign a document showing who is to take care of their child if they are sent to war. This is just one of the many precautions that our military personnel have to take. These things are things that you and I, who are not in the military, don't have to ever think about. And yet, it is so easy for society to "forget" what our service members are giving up.

Yet, at the same time, while they are sacrificing their lives in order to protect the citizens of America, they have also gained something much more profound than any of the rest of us will ever know. They have a deep passion for what they do. I go about my day, go to work and wonder why I don't have a feeling that I am doing something good for the world...do those serving in the military ever feel the same way or are the confident that they have chosen to live their life in a much different way than the rest of us? They have not chosen a job, they have chosen a lifestyle and all of us here in America are reaping the benefits.

Saying thank you does not seem to be enough, so I urge everyone to never take our freedom for granted. For over 230 years, men and women have given their lives to protect ours and the future of all Americans. Never, ever forget that and honor them, not only today, on Veterans day, but everyday.


A Veteran is someone, who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for an amount up to, and including, their life. That is beyond honor and there are way too many people in this country who no longer remember that fact. Happy Veteran's Day to those who have served and are currently serving. May God continue to give you strength.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and well said my friend. Love the picture of Carl Snarlgroves. :P Easy to see why your mom fell so quickly. I am also thankful for friends that have slumber parties to keep you away from lonliness while your vet is deployed. Love you!

    ReplyDelete