Monday, April 4, 2011

The Never Ending Blanket



About 10 years ago I started this cross stitched, Precious Moments Alphabet baby blanket for a friend that was having a baby. Why I did this, I have no idea...because I do not cross stitch very fast. Needless to say, I didn't finish it. I did get to the "M" but that was about it. I began to make it for a friend's baby -- didn't finish. When another friend got pregnant, I picked it up again and tried to get it done for her baby -- didn't finish. And when a third friend got pregnant and I didn't finish it, I resigned myself to the fact that it would never be done.

When I got pregnant with Eva, I asked my mom (the most talented crafter that I know) if she would be willing to complete it. I knew that the likelihood of me finishing it before Eva's 15th birthday was very slim! Thankfully she agreed. However, in between the crocheted sweaters and blankets and the cute dresses she has made for Eva, not to mention taking care of Eva everyday, it has taken several months for her to finish the blanket.

Imagine the excitement when, on St. Patrick's Day, my mom gave us a gift bag with the blanket all wrapped up. We opened it and were soooo happy! Eva has her blankie!!! And then.....we looked at the birthdate!!! Much to our dismay, she had cross-stitched July 21st, not July 31st!! Oops...she was thinking about my birthday which is the 21st of August! Poor Gramma...she had to take the whole thing apart to change the date!!!

But it is done!!! The never-ending blanket is finally done! My apologies to all of my friends that never got the blanket. My immense thank you to my mother, who is so talented and finished the blanket with so much love. Eva will cherish it forever!




1 comment:

  1. It turned out beautiful! I'm sure that Eva will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete